Hi, Sheila De Vine

You wrote to PARKINSN:
"Hence, the depression sets in because he can't decide on anything and doesn't
think he'll ever "get it right" or "I just don't know what I want or what I
should do".

I tell him do what you want and let the PD change it if it must - but don't
make decisions based on less than what you want just because of the PD
because then you will feel defeated by it."

My experience included depression and anxiety which seemed to be 'feeding'
each other - especially in the first years following diagnosis.  The desire
to live meaningfully can make one anxious to finish meeting our goals ..
sort of all at once.

These combine with the mental stimulation (over-stimulation likely) added
by the increased dopamine of our medication.  The slowness of the body is
helped by the meds but the added stimulation of the mind is
counterproductive when anxiety 'pushes' us to get a lot done quickly.  Too
little restfull sleep, and losing weight by relatively hyperactive activity
can also add to the difficulty of accepting the crucial (IMO) difficulty of
relaxing body and mind to live with this disease.  (dis - ease ..
separation of the word .. may be very appropriate for PD.  Lack of
cognitive control to relax is one primary problem.  My conjecture is that
some of my symptoms improvements have resulted from gradual re-learning
cognitive control of some formerly nearly automatic actions.

Hope this helps you both.  Join a support group to help yourselves and
others learn more about the importance of caring, knowledge, and
prioritizing use of limited energy .. and time.

Ron  <[log in to unmask]> Ronald F. Vetter