Joyce,

        My Father-in-law also has vision problems. (He is 83 years old and
was diagnosed with PD in 1985 though he thinks he had it for at least three
years before that) They started out as cateracts in both eyes.  About two
weeks after surgery on his left eye to remove the cateract he had a
detached retina and now is completely blind in that eye except for
"shadows" that he sees out of the far left corner.  Needless to say he
would not let anyone touch his right eye.  He is told that he has macular
degeneration (which has nothing to do with PD). It took him a good while to
accept this.  We hired a "reader" for him, and she is a Godsend.  He has
written a book on religion and loves to read the New York Times daily.  He
is coping with PD, macular degeneration, prostate cancer and the death of
my Mother-in-law, far better than any one of us ever expected.
        He is a retired physician from the NIH who specialized in
"Preventive Medicine", and taught many years at Harvard.  He is home alone
a lot during the day and runs up monthly telephone bills which average
about $500.00.  When I come home in the afternoon, he has the table set for
dinner, which isn't for several hours later, but he knows I appreciate it
and he feels like he is helping (even though I know it took him a good 30
minutes to set the table, it is one way for him to keep up a little
exercise, he says).  There are days, when he gets "down" but we don't let
him stay there.  Our ten-year daughter needs only to read to him,talk to
him for a while or play him a game of back gammon, and he starts coming
around.
        For your mother, keep a cheery surrounding, lots of laughter and
all the love you can dish out. For yourself, keep up with your own
activities, and friends so your mother doesn't think you are doting on her,
and keep the faith.

June