On Tue, 6 Jun 1995, Perdue - Joyce wrote:

> My mother, who is 82 and formally diagnosed 7 years ago, is progressing
> rapidily.  Of major concern to her is her inability to read. I
> accompanied her to the eye doctor several years ago and heard him
> theorize that her eyes were no longer focusing together because of
> Parkinson's affecting her eye muscles.  Another eye doctor said not
> enough light was entering because of her cateracts, but he did not
> recommend removing them, they weren't severe enough.   (??)  Another
> doctor said that dry eyes might be the problem and recommended using eye
> drops to wet the eye surface.  She is now unable to lift here eyelids
> far enough to allow clear vision from the pupil.  Her sister also has
> drooping eyelids.  So maybe the lid problem is not from PD?  but from
> heredity?  Does anyone else have vision problems?

I have been "enjoying" PD for almost 25 years and have had vision
problems for at last ten years. The main trouble is double vision, caused
presumably by inadequate focusing of both eyes. The solution that my
ophthalmologist suggested was simply to read with one eye covered up. It
works! I read most of the time with my right eye covered, and sometimes
with my left eye covered. I read several hours per day, and have had no
undesirable side effects from this procedure.

Gaston L. Schmir