Some of you may be interested in a system my husband and I have developed for
helping him rise from bed or chair at times when he is rigid. It works very
easily, and is EASY also on the back of the caregiver!  I'll try to describe it
 as clearly as possible without diagrams---
 I (caregiver) stand on his right side, facing him, with my own right leg
extended back,left  bent.  He takes ahold of my right arm above the elbow, and
I take ahold of his right arm in the same way, so the strain is on both upper
arms. As I straighten my left  leg,I pull on his arm, and he on mine, and he
rises "magically" and smoothly to standing position.  It really works! I hope
the explanation is fairly understandable.  We've used it many times and no
back pain yet  :-)   When he's in bed, of course, he has to get his feet doen
before we can do this maneuver, but it works then also.  "Try it, you'll like
it"----Camilla and Peter Flintermann, Oxford, OH