Dear support list member,

my name is Thomas Richter.
 I am a social psychologist at the University of Saarbruecken in Germany.
I am conducting a survey of all support lists in the internet.
My aim is to find out more about the process of creating a support list.
This question is of great scientific importance for psychology
dealing with virtual communities. It is also important for the self help
movement because, people planing to set up a support list might be
interested in sharing your experience.

If you are the initiator of this or a similar other list, or if you have
taken part in the discussions about creating a list like this,
please help me and others who could profit of the information I collect.

Please answer the following questions:

1. What is the name of the list you are referring to?

2. Was it the idea of a single person or of a group to create this list?

3. How long did it take from the first idea to establish the list to the
first posting of a proposal to create the list?

4. Was this proposal discussed in the Usenet, BBS or other network?

If the answer to number 4 is yes please answer 5 to 11. If it is no go to
number 12.
5. How many people took part in discussing this proposal?

6. How long did these discussions take (approximately in weeks)?

7. What were the arguments for and again establishing this list?

8. Was there a turning point in the process of this discussion, if so, what
was it about?

9. Were there any technical problems to be solved before establishing this
list? If so, which?

10. If there was a request for moderating the list, was it easy to find a
moderator?

11. Was a special code of conduct for this list formulated (esp. concerning
confidence, the protection of the
list against flaming, dealing with critical situation like suicide threats,
people with serious problems)?
If so, which?

12. How many people took part in this list immediately after it was created?

13. How was this list announced, in other lists, in the media or in self
help groups?

14. Was there a period at the very beginning where nobody or only a few
people wrote?

15. How long did it take until there were regular postings?

16. Would you take part in establishing a list like this again? What would
you do differently?

Please feel free to comment on this survey:

Would you like to get a summary of the results of this survey? Please
include the e-mail address to which to send the result paper.

Thank you very much for answering the questions

Please send the answers to [log in to unmask]

    Thomas Richter
    Graduiertenkolleg Kognitionswissenschaft
    an der Universitaet des Saarlandes

    Phone: +49 681 3905120
    Snail-mail: Thomas Richter
                Blumenstr. 31
                D-66111 Saarbruecken                 Couch.X: the best place
                                                             in Cyberspace