From: Gary Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re[2]: good advice

On Tue, 20 Jun 1995, Gary Zimmerman wrote:

Do not let physicians make light of symptoms even though you have a
chronic illness!!  If you are not satisfied with the Dr.'s treatment, do
not be afraid to seek another opinion.  Be knowledgeable, be your own
advocate.

This mailing list is a great aid to help each other with problems and to
learn about the disease, and I thank you for it!

Thanks for the valuable message and reminder.  You are SO right!

One thing that turned me off terribly in med school was the generally
paternalistic attitude of physicians towards their patients.  Even though
those physicians readily admitted amongst themselves that no one could learn
it all or know it all.  Oh certainly there are exceptions to this, but I
found that I did not particularly admire the bulk of my future "colleagues."
This was one of the factors in my leaving the place.  There are many good
physicians out there too, I know (many on this list), and I admire them
greatly because I see them as the grand exceptions.

 -- Gary Zimmerman