Sharon,

Re: Walkers preventing forward falls.

I've read much of the literature on falls/older adults and falling in
PD. A walker may prevent the odds of falling, but it does not
do much in way of rehabilitation training. I'm doing my dissertation
on the effect of strength and balance training on balance and strength
and ADL in stage III parkinsonians. Leg muscle weakness seems to be
one factor which contributes to falls in PD. Other factors are
dysfunctional visual, vestibular and proprioception sensory systems.
Your dad doesn't seem like the kind of person who would join a health
club to pump iron. Could he perform balance exercises at his home? All
he would need are a helper, 3-5 inch thick foam square, and 25 minutes
a day-3 days per week. I could email the specific exercises to you and
you or someone else would have to train him.

Mark Hirsch