Hi, I thought I'd introduce myself since I just joined this list.  My name is
Marie Williamson and my 66 year old father was diagnosed with PD in January of
this year.  I work in the Office of International Education and Services at the
University of Iowa in the United States.  I'm also working on my Master's Degree
in Higher Education.

My mother and I, who are the family members who spend the most time with my
father, are concerned about his cognitive difficulties.  Medications (forgive
me, I'm not familiar with the exact meds yet) are helping his physical symptoms,
and the diagnosis itself has helped his emotional state tremendously, but he has
difficulties with communication.

As a multilingual translator, this problem is perhaps more noticable and more
disturbing for him.  I was just wondering if other people are familiar with any
of the following patters...

-> After reading for a few minutes everything looks like squiggles and makes no
sense.

-> After listening for a few minutes everything sounds like noise and makes no
sense.

-> Inablility to determine which word to use until he says it out loud, hears
it, and ponders whether or not that's the correct one.  He says this is
especially true for words with similar structure.  (This one makes him
increaslingly verbal.)

-> Difficulty grasping abstract concepts, or changes in conversation topic (even
minor ones).

It is particularly difficult for us to adjust to this aspect of PD because my
father has been an intellectual creature all his life.  His professional and
personal persuits have focused around his cognitive abilities.  I was glad to
see the abstracts that John Cottingham posted on cognitive deficit in PD
patients and will follow those up. And my father will be thrilled to know he is
not alone in this aspect of the disease.  Any other leads or words of experience
would be appreciated.  I think our biggest concern is that perhaps he has some
other problem whose diagnosis has not been made, and is being masked by the
recent PD diagnosis.

Important fact... the doctors say his PD has been caught in the early stages,
but that it has probably been creeping up on him for the last 10 years.  We see
now that some of the problems he was having with translation and fatigue in 1985
might have been because of the beginnings of PD.

I have several other areas I'm interested in but will leave it at this for now.
I'm glad to have discovered this list!

Marie Williamson