My mother was diagnosed with Parkinsons at the age of 38, in 1972 I believe.
She recently had a pallidotomy procedure at the University of NE Medical
Center by Dr. Patil.  Her rigidity was greatly decreased.  However she
remains
very disabled due to having had a herniated disc probably for about four
months
which remained undiagnosed until in the hospital for the pallidotomy pro-
cedure.

My father, who is her primary caretaker had informed my mother's general
practitioner
and her neurologist about her severe back pain.  They were given a
prescription
for Tylenol with Codeine and were told "its just from her Parkinsons" without
an
examination of her back.  She had excruciating pain for four months,
sustained
some loss of awareness of fullness in her bladder, and weakness of her right
leg
from nerve compression.

I am a registered nurse, however I live in another state and did not see my
mother
until returning home to be with her for the pallidotomy.  It became obvious
by the way
she let out a scream and cried whenever she moved that she was in terrible
pain, we insisted on investigation and only then was her herniated disc
diagnosed.

She subsequently underwent surgery on her back, which was not painful to her
relative to how she had been feeling the past 4 months.  She is facing a long
rehab and will probably never be back to her baseline prior to injuring her
back.

Do not let physicians make light of symptoms even though you have a chronic
illness!!  If you are not satisfied with the Dr.'s treatment, do not be
afraid to seek
another opinion.  Be knowledgeable, be your own advocate.  This mailing list
is a great aid to help each other with problems and to learn about the
disease,
and I thank you for it!