Many thanks to John Cottingham for doing the literature searches on cognitive
functioning, iron/aluminum, and environmental factors.  That is a real
service to me.
        Cognitive functioning is very important to me since I am in the
teaching business.  I had thought that Sinemet medication had really improved
my functioning subsequent to diagnosis.  This sounds like it may not have, and
what improvements that I experience was due to other factors such as lifting
my depression.  It makes me realize that I am going to have to ask others to
watch me and give me feedback when they see deficits.  I suspect that I am
largely unaware of the progressive decline.
        The presence of iron and aluminum in the CNS is very interesting. Help
from those of you knowledgeable out there--what are the practical implications
of this?  Does that mean less intake of such elements?  I am taking a capsule
of iron every day with my vitamins, should I be concerned about that?  Or is
the eldepryl going to be doing some shielding?
        I am glad to see the findings from environmental findings.  Those of
us with significant exposures certainly believe that some of that has to be
implicated.  My exposure on the farm was to pesticides, not herbicides--
mainly 2,4-D.
        I really appreciate your posting these, John.  They are very
informative to me.

        Mary Yost:  I am a Feldenkrais patient, with monthly sessions.  I told
my therapist right out about the PD and she has taken that into account. I
have had previous postings of my experience with Feldenkrais which I would be
pleased to send you, or you could retrieve them from the list server.  I'd
think that the session you are planning to attend would be very useful for
you; the procedure has been for me.  I have had treatments from three different
therapists, a couple on trips; all of them have been very beneficial.

        I got to attend the National Conference in Chicago.  I saw the notice
here on the network and since I was going to another meeting there I phoned
APDA and got a spot.  It was very impressive to me, the technology and the
number of people in attendance.  It was a great public showing for us PDers.
I found it very informative, but nothing really new.  We are getting the new
information here on the net and in the various newsletters.  But it did help
me understand my situation better.
        I would have liked to have seen an articulate PDer or two on the
panel for there needs to be someone who actually is experiencing this disease
to be part of this; perhaps a physician or researcher who also is experiencing
it.
        I would also have liked much more emphasis on diet, nuitrition,
exercise, and alternative therapies.  It was much more global that it needed
to be for what is now known.  Maybe these topics can be taken up in a later
session.  It was a limited time and for a first one, was quite good.  My
thanks to APDA and the sponsoring companies for putting it on.  Next time
there needs to be a wider coverage to local groups.
        Bob Newbrough