This is the first message I have read (only been on the list for a few
days) that was not filled with technical information.  Although I find
that useful, I am hoping this list is also for newly diagnosed people who
need basic information.  If not, please forgive my intrusion.

I was given a preliminary diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease last Friday.
At that time I also had an MRI, EEG, and neck x-ray.  I have had a tremor
for a few years (right hand).  The diagnosis was essential tremor.
However, the more we read, the more my husband was convinced that it was
PD.  So, I asked for a second opinion.

I very much like my new neurologist.  She seems very thorough.  However,
I know little about what to expect as to the progress of the disease.
I'm sure she will tell me when I go back on June 30th, but I'd like to
know now.  And, more importantly, I'd like to know from those who have
the disease.

I turned 45 in December; we just celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary.
Last February I was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a
mastectomy -right side.  Ken was not satisfied with the results of my
mammograms and insisted I see a surgeon.  If he had not been so adamant, I
would be dead now.  We were feeling very lucky to have each other and my
health when this struck.

I read a lot about depression being a side effect of PD.  Well, I had
been on Prozac for over a year and just went off.  Now, I am fighting
that again!  I have found that I have a very strong faith.  I know that
God won't give me more than HE and I together can handle.  I learned that
last year.  But, I just don't want to feel bad anymore.

Dr. Rice has me on sinemet CR (1/2 tablet twice a day).  I started last
Friday, and, I just realized I have very little tremor today.  Before the
medication my hand sometimes shook so hard that my whole arm was moving!

I am looking for positive information.  Something that will say that I
have a lot of very productive years left.  I would like to correspond
with someone who also was diagnosed at about my age.

How quickly do the symptoms develope?  Is it better to wait to start the
sinemet until I really can't stand the tremor anymore?  Or is it better
to start now?  What else should I be asking?

I am of an independent bent.  I want to be able to take care of myself.
I don't want Ken to have to help me dress, bathe, etc.  However, he has
always opened any jars for me.  I *never* was co-ordinated enough to do
it myself.  So, I am no super woman who wants to do it all.  Just how
dependent do I become, how soon.

Course, you can also tell me that I have painted a picture way bleaker
than it will be for a long while! <g>

Thanks for listing.  I feel a little better now.

TIA,

Carol