Dear Friend:

Enjoy the positive effects of Sinemet.  You have a lot of time before things
get more difficult.  And you may be lucky and have a light enough case of PD
that you will never become dependent in the sense you seem to describe
(dressing, bathing, etc.).  You'll see that you can live a normal life for
at least another ten years, I would think, before major changes remind you
that you are a Parkie.  Just keep taking your medicine, and try to avoid
increasing the doses of Sinemet if you can; my husband's neurologist has
good luck supplementing Sinemet with Permex and seems to have fewer side
effects.  My husband, who was diagnosed at around 58, and has suffered for
ten years, went undiagnosed for several years; we just thought he needed
more exercise because he was tired a lot.  His case is what they call
"brittle" now, in that the stiff times are very stiff and the loose times
come on quite suddenly.  But we make good use of the non-stiff hours, and
have learned to accommodate the disease without being ruled by it.  I'll bet
you and your independent streak will find the same modus vivendi.

Good luck!

k.

>This is the first message I have read (only been on the list for a few
>days) that was not filled with technical information.  Although I find
>that useful, I am hoping this list is also for newly diagnosed people who
>need basic information.  If not, please forgive my intrusion.
>
>I was given a preliminary diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease last Friday.
>At that time I also had an MRI, EEG, and neck x-ray.  I have had a tremor
>for a few years (right hand).  The diagnosis was essential tremor.
>However, the more we read, the more my husband was convinced that it was
>PD.  So, I asked for a second opinion.
>
>I very much like my new neurologist.  She seems very thorough.  However,
>I know little about what to expect as to the progress of the disease.
>I'm sure she will tell me when I go back on June 30th, but I'd like to
>know now.  And, more importantly, I'd like to know from those who have
>the disease.
>
>I turned 45 in December; we just celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary.
>Last February I was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a
>mastectomy -right side.  Ken was not satisfied with the results of my
>mammograms and insisted I see a surgeon.  If he had not been so adamant, I
>would be dead now.  We were feeling very lucky to have each other and my
>health when this struck.
>
>I read a lot about depression being a side effect of PD.  Well, I had
>been on Prozac for over a year and just went off.  Now, I am fighting
>that again!  I have found that I have a very strong faith.  I know that
>God won't give me more than HE and I together can handle.  I learned that
>last year.  But, I just don't want to feel bad anymore.
>
>Dr. Rice has me on sinemet CR (1/2 tablet twice a day).  I started last
>Friday, and, I just realized I have very little tremor today.  Before the
>medication my hand sometimes shook so hard that my whole arm was moving!
>
>I am looking for positive information.  Something that will say that I
>have a lot of very productive years left.  I would like to correspond
>with someone who also was diagnosed at about my age.
>
>How quickly do the symptoms develope?  Is it better to wait to start the
>sinemet until I really can't stand the tremor anymore?  Or is it better
>to start now?  What else should I be asking?
>
>I am of an independent bent.  I want to be able to take care of myself.
>I don't want Ken to have to help me dress, bathe, etc.  However, he has
>always opened any jars for me.  I *never* was co-ordinated enough to do
>it myself.  So, I am no super woman who wants to do it all.  Just how
>dependent do I become, how soon.
>
>Course, you can also tell me that I have painted a picture way bleaker
>than it will be for a long while! <g>
>
>Thanks for listing.  I feel a little better now.
>
>TIA,
>
>Carol
>
>On Wed, 21 Jun 1995, Dar Newman wrote:
>
>> Virginia

> [...]

Mrs. Karin M. Beros, MSO                     [log in to unmask]
International and Area Studies               voice:  (510) 642-8542
Office of the Dean, 260 Stephens Hall        fax:    (510) 642-9466
Mail Code 2300