June 21//95

Yes Virginia, there is a positive side to Parkinson's.

You sound like a fiesty person to begin with.  It also seems that
you've been through a lot....and I agree with you when you say that
we are never given more than the two of us (God and I) can handle.
But sometimes, just once in a while wouldn't it be nice to not be
tested?   To come to an obstacle, perch on  your toes just a wee
bit and bounce over it, instead of reaching it , coming to a dead
stop, accessing the situation, perhaps a  few tears of frustration
and 'why me?'s'  and then climb it.

->I turned 45 in December; we just celebrated our 24th wedding
->anniversary.
->Last February I was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a
->mastectomy -right side.  Ken was not satisfied with the results of
-> my mammograms and insisted I see a surgeon.  If he had not been so
->adamant, I
->would be dead now.  We were feeling very lucky to have each other
->and my health when this struck.

It sounds as though your husband is wonderfully supportive.  That's
great. And remember, you DO still have your health, and no one told
you you're going to die tomorrow.  There are still *SO* many things
that you *CAN* do!

->God won't give me more than HE and I together can handle.  I learned
->that last year.  But, I just don't want to feel bad anymore.

Virginia, I'd love to be able to tell you that you won't feel bad
anymore. But it would be a lie.  You will.  I will.   I don't really
know of anyone who won't.  But you've done it before and you'll do it
again.  I know it feels as though you're running in circles and
every time you think you spot an exit to the maze you bump into a
brick wall.  That wall is worth scaling!

->I  am looking for positive information.  Something that will say
->I have a lot of very productive years left.  I would like to
->correspond with someone who also was diagnosed at about my age.

I was diagnosed when I was 34.  I'm 42 now.  Since I was diagnosed, I
ran  a business, learned to use computers, travelled, raised two
children, dated, met and married a wondeful man, turned to a new
career and a few other odds and ends to fill in the spare time.  And
you know something?  There's still a bit of fire left in the old girl
yet! <G>
-->
Actually, having been through a rather rough winter, I am now feeling,
on the PD scale of reference, a definite 9!  I have resumed exercising
as much as possible, have made some dietary changes, and try to take
good care of myself.

-->How quickly do the symptoms develope?  Is it better to wait to
-->start sinemet until I really can't stand the tremor anymore?  Or is
-->itbetter to start now?  What else should I be asking?

I'd start now, but some people may view this differently. In my
opinion, why wait and get more depressed trying to cope with
the tremor?  Quality of life is very important.
-->
-->-->I am of an independent bent.  I want to be able to take care of myself.
-->-->I don't want Ken to have to help me dress, bathe, etc.  However, he has
-->
Me too. "Miss One Hundred and One Miles and Hour" they used to call
me!   The fact that my top speed doesn't *quite* reach that anymore
should not bother me.  (I lied....it does bother me, but I
       try not to let it for long!

-->always opened any jars for me.  I *never* was co-ordinated enough
--> to do it myself.  So, I am no super woman who wants to do it all.
-->Just dependent do I become, how soon.
-->
Hard to say, everyone's different.  But if you keep busy, exercise
lots, keep up to date with what's going on in the research field, meet
others around your age and have a few friends who can really
understand what it feels like to have Parkinson's to talk with,
be positive and look at the bright side as
much as possible, you can handle this little glitch in your path just
as well as you've done previously.      I KNOW THIS I!!!!!

You sound as though you have all the qualities that will see you
through this problem too.  I Know it's not fair.  And I get angry
with myself sometimes too, angry, frustrated,impatient, all those
good things <G>.  But we're only human, we can only do what we can
do; as long as we try our best to make the most of each situation the
rest will take care of itself.

Lynda

    [log in to unmask]                   [log in to unmask]

---