You wrote:

>My father is 76 years old and has had PD for over 20 years now.  He
had a
>pallidotomy done on the right side about 3 1/2 yrs ago at N.Y.
University
>by a Dr. Dougali.  It helped his speech but did nothing for his gait.
He
>now uses a walker and a wheel chair if he goes out.  His short term
>memory is very bad.  He is very impressed with the intellegence on
this
>list and would like to ask you which operation any of you think is
more
>beneficial - a (left side) pallitdotomy or a thalidotomy and which are
>the best doctors performing the operation.  My father lives in Chicago
>and I am not sure he can really travel much anymore.  His current
doctor
>in Chicago is Dr. Goetz.
>
>Thank you in advance for your responses.
>- Rachel ([log in to unmask])

Rachel:

To my learning, thalamotomy is useful mainly for control of *tremor*.
It is useless for memory problems, and has minimal effect on "slowness"
or rigidity.

Best wishes,

Bob
--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"