Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 23:53:47 EDT
Subject: Nancy Martone Pallidotomy

Nancy has continued to improve on her left side as a result of the
unilateral Pallidotomy performed on May 23, 1995 by Dr. Gildenberg. She
remains free of dyskenisia on that side and also shows improvement in
tremor, bradykenisia and freezing. She has been able to tolerate
Sinemet CR  one half of a 50-200 without disabling dyskenisia. We are
both getting more sleep at night, upto 5 hours with out interruption.
Prior to surgery the best we did was one and one half hours. By any
measure, the left side has benefited significantly. That s the good
news. The bad news is that we really did not know just how bad her
symptoms had become. Now that she has one very functional side and one
very dysfunctional side, she is experiencing major back muscle and hip
pains from the imbalance created by the unoperated side. Message
therapy has not been able to provide relief and visits to the
chiropractor were also no help. Basically non of us know what to do
with this body that has vastly different needs between the left and
right side now.

Yesterday we visited the neurosurgeon and jointly concluded that
Pallidotomy surgery on the other side was the proper course of action
and this will take place next Friday July 6, at St. Luke s Hospital in
Houston. God willing our experience will be as rewarding this time as
it was in May. Having watched Nancy over the past five weeks, there is
certainly a case for the bilateral procedure that Dr. Iacona has
pioneered. It  may be appropriate for people like Nancy who suffer
equally on both sides.

 I have just about completed a VCR documentary on Nancy up to this
point and plan to add next weeks experience to it. It is over 50
minutes of material. We plan to make it available through the Houston
Area Parkinson s Society around August 1. If all goes well we will be
on vacation in New Jersey July 14-22 and are working on plans to visit
some support groups in the New Jesey/New York area and preview the
video. Of course this will depend on how well Nancy is doing after the
surgery on July 6.

Please keep Nancy in your thoughts and prayers next week.