You wrote:

>To list readers: MEDLINE is the national medical database at Bethesda,
MD,
>which indexes thousands of journal abstracts by author, title,
keyword, etc.
>I have used it in the past by visiting the medical library at UCLA,
which
>has a bank of free terminals, but it is a chore to get there and lug
my
>notes around. Does anyone know if MEDLINE is accessible to a home PC
like
>mine and if so, detailed guidance how to do it (I'm a novice on the
'net).
>Thanks!
>J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
>3527 Cody Road
>Sherman Oaks, CA

MEDLINE is available through Knowledge Index on CompuServe; and I think
that it may also be available on AOL.  The CompuServe access is
expensive, as they charge you by the abstract.  There is software
called Dialog which is a DOS-based (command line) program which also
has a subscription fee.  There is a Windows program called "Physicians
On Line" which is sponsored by some drug companies and is free to
physicians only (because only they can *prescribe* medication); and,
finally, there is "Grateful Med" a program available through the NIH.
If one has access to the NIH Gopher, one can get info on Grateful Med
(available in DOS, Windows, and Mac) and the cost of the subscription
is reasonable.  Go to the medical library nearest you; and I am sure
that they will have info on Grateful Med and you can then order it.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Bob
--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"