Another recent member:

My name is Ruth Smith and I earn my keep as a Careers Adviser at
Cambridge University Careers Service. 'On the side' I pursue a topic which I
began 25 years ago as a research student, the intellectual contexts of
Handel's English oratorios (Handel's Oratorios and Eighteenth-Century
Thought, Cambridge UP, 1995). My interest is the ways in which
the words of Handel's English works reflect both the preoccupations of their
time in the areas of nationalism, religion, biblical history, political
theory, aesthetics and literary criticism, and the lives and
preoccupations of their authors.

I am about to start work on a biography of Handel's most interesting
librettist, Charles Jennens (1700-73), and would be grateful for any
information about him not contained in my 1989 article about him in
Music & Letters. He was a Leicestershire/Warwickshire landowner
(Gopsall Hall), student at Balliol, editor of Shakespeare, friend of Edward
Holdsworth, Jacobite sympathiser, non-juror, art collector and patron.

As I don't hold an academic post I'm not able to supervise theses, but I
am frequently consulted by people pre-publication (I had a previous
career as an academic editor) and am willing to help with any current
work in my areas.

Special message for Dr Deconinck-Brossard: as you'll see from the
notes to my book, I found your work on sermons very helpful - many thanks!

Ruth Smith

Cambridge University Careers Service, Stuart House, Mill Lane, Cambridge
CB2 1XE fax 01223 338281

email [log in to unmask]