        I have a question which I was wondering if someone more experienced
in the matters could help with.  In the Malone Society's Norfolk/Suffolk
volume there is a record in King's Lynn, in 1447/8 which lists a summary
of payments to the minstrels of a variety of Lords.  At the end of this
is mentioned "...domini Episcopi Sarisburiensi & domini de Welles per
diuersa tempora"(Collections XI, 49).

        My question is, if I look in John Wasson's Appendix II, He lists
this as the Bishop of Wells (Thomas Beckington, Bishop of Bath and Wells,
1443-65.)  I was curious if it is definitely Thomas Beckington, and not
Lionel De Welles who styled himself Lord Welles (Born 1406, died at the
battle of Towton, 29 March 1461 (Complete Peerage))?  The list of nobles
is in the genitive, thus the domini Episcopi is singular and I think
refers just to the Bishop of Salisbury (As Wasson notes William Aiscough).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how Wasson made the one identification
over the other?

Many thanks for any help,
James Cummings
University of Leeds