Thanks to all who have so far responded to my post regarding PD risk
factors.  From the responses combined with my
own observations, alcohol, marijuana, and cigarettes can be ruled out
as risk factors.  That means that we need to search harder and I'd
like to hear from more of you if possible; if shyness has held
you back, you can post anonymously to this list or to me personally
(mail [log in to unmask] for more info).

Wendy alluded to this, but after I posted my request for help in
finding the culprit to what has given some of us PD, I found that the
chemical MPTP which was in at least one batch of synthetic heroin is
broken down by MOA-B into the potent oxidant MPP+, which has an
affinity toward the dopamine receptors and has definitely caused PD in
some people.  So question (c) was not so crazy after all.
Furthermore, deprenyl is an MAO-B inhibitor that extends the lifespan
of rats and apparently slows the progression of PD.

More questions for those of you who were young when you first had PD
symptoms in addition to those in my original post:  Did you grow up on
a farm?  Were you in direct contact with gasoline or paints in the
time frame when you developed PD?

Additional comments on responses:

> environmental.  Since no-one in my family going back five generations on
> both sides was known to have PD (granted even 50 years ago diagnosis was
> unpredictable), i believe my cause rests in environmental toxins.  I
> include the artificial techno-noise (directly related to stress inducement)
> of the modern world as a possible cause.

Well, you must have experienced something that was different from
others.  If we try hard enough we can probably find it!  Lets be
optimistic.  Key is what you were doing at the age of ~21.

> 1) Q: Who on this list is currently under 40?

I am 28.  Tremors started at age of 17 to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers,
Jason Taylor
Jason Taylor | "Doctor, don't cut so deep!
Greenbelt, MD|  That's the third operating table you've ruined this week!"