I am writing an open letter for the first time since I have started
monitoring the Parkinson group area.  I am 48 years old and have had pd for
about 3 years.  I have attended YOPD meetings in the Bay area since my
diagnosis under the excellent guidance of Alan Bonander, whom many of you
know from this group.

I was initially excited by the recent report about NADH therapy that was
presented here June 30.  However, my excitement was quickly dashed when I
read the attached article from the Scandinavian J of Neurology, which
suggests that in their placebo-controlled study of 10 patients (5 NADH
treated, 5 placebo) that all 10 patients improved and that there was no
additional efficacy of NADH.  Only a large, randomized study will prove this
one way or the other. Meanwhile, I will read with some skepticism
non-placebo-controlled testimonials such as that provided by Dr. Atkins.
Since I have a high degree of respect for the competence and intellectual
honesty of most of the people on this list, I look forward to your comments.

Respectfully, John Wherry ([log in to unmask])

Dizdar N, K~agedal B, Lindvall B

Treatment of **Parkinson's** **disease** with **NADH.**

Department of Neurology, University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden.

Acta Neurol Scand 1994 Nov;90(5):345-7

Article Number:  UI95193491

ABSTRACT:

It has earlier been claimed that clinical improvement of patients with
**Parkinson's** **disease** is obtained by treatment with **NADH.** This has
to be verified by double-blind, clinical studies and measurement of
biochemical effects of the treatment. In a double blind study five patients
with clinically moderate **Parkinson's** **disease** were treated with
**NADH,** 25 mg, given intravenously once a day for four days. Then they were
given 25 mg **NADH** intramuscularly after 2 and 4 weeks. Disability scores
were determined before each treatment and two weeks after the final
injection. A control group (n = 4) with the same degree of **Parkinson's**
**disease** obtained sodium chloride with the same schedule. According to the
Unified **Parkinson's** **Disease** Rating Scale a tendency to clinical
improvement was seen after the iv infusions in both treatment and placebo
groups. However, the changes were not statistically significant, and no
changes occurred during the following weeks. No changes were found neither in
the study nor the control group regarding cerebrospinal fluid concentrations
of dynorfin, metenkefalin, somatostatin, hydroxy-methoxy-phenylglycol,
homovanillic acid and 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid. The results indicate that
no great changes are obtained after short-term treatment of parkinsonian
patients with **NADH,** neither clinically nor biochemically.