Of all the info I've posted so far on pesticides, this group,
organophosphates,seems to me to be a likely culprit in pd.  Since there was
alot of info to go thru, I thought I'd summarize with some excerpts here:

1)   A minimum amount of organophosphate
must be absorbed to depress blood cholinesterase activities, but enzyme
activities are lowered by dosage considerably less than are required to
cause symptomatic poisoning. The enzyme depression is usually apparent
within a few minutes or hours of significant absorption of organophosphate.
Depression of the plasma enzyme generally persists several days to a few
weeks; the RBC enzyme activity may not reach its minimum for several days,
and usually remains depressed longer, sometimes 1-3 months, until new
enzyme replaces that inactivated by organophosphate.

***  It's supposedly an enzyme deficiency which may be the culprit in pd,
according to much research, in that it causes the liver/kidneys to be unable
to effectively filter toxins out of the body.  What if taking that one step
further, as is implied here, that the pesticide is also part of the reason
for  the enzyme deficiency itself? ************

2)   About 3% of individuals
have a genetically determined low level of plasma pseudo-cholinesterase.
These persons are particularly vulnerable to the action of the
muscle-paralyzing drug succinylcholine, often administered to surgical
patients. They are usually more sensitive to organophosphate toxicity,
although this has not been proven. Patients with advanced liver disease,
malnutrition, chronic alcoholism, and dermatomyositis exhibit low plasma
cholinesterase activities. A number of toxicants, notably carbon disulfide,
benzalkonium salts, organic mercury compounds, ciguatoxins, and solanines
may reduce plasma pseudocholinesterase activity. Early pregnancy and birth
control pills may also cause some depression. The RBC acetylcholinesterase
is less likely than the plasma enzyme to be affected by factors other than
organophosphates. It is reduced, however, in certain rare conditions that
damage the red cell membrane, such as hemolytic anemias.

************** As far as I know, I'm not sensitive to "muscle-paralyzing drug
succinylcholine", but I am to Compazine, known to cause pd-like symptoms in
some cases.    It mentions here that birth control pills may depress this
plasma activity, making one more susceptible.  Well, I was given the
compazine originally to counteract the nausea I was supposed to have felt due
to, I believe, Progesterone (or else it was Estrogen), which I had also been
given.  Could the hormone have depressed my system and added to my reaction
to the compazine?  Also, about a year after moving to NJ (which has
pesticides EVERYWHERE), I started taking the pill (which I have since
stopped).  Could taking the pill have made me more susceptible to these
pesticides and added to the earlier damage?  I was only half-joking when I
told my neurologist that the symptoms started after moving to NJ, known for
its pollution and after starting the pill.************

3)  Repeated absorption of organophosphate at significant dosage, but in
amounts not sufficient to cause acute poisoning, may cause persistent
weakness, anorexia, and malaise.

************ Parkies have muscle weakness, are often thin, and of course
suffer from general malaise************

4)  Some recently reported cases of organophosphate poisoning, mostly from
suicidal ingestion of large quantities, have been characterized by
prolonged (1-3 weeks) paralysis of muscles of the head, neck, limbs, and
thorax, commencing one to four days following apparent resolution of acute
cholinergic manifestations. Continuous medical support of pulmonary
ventilation was necessary to sustain life in these cases.

**********Hmm, sounds like my reaction to compazine almost****************

5)  Organophosphates poison insects and mammals primarily by phosphorylation
of
the acetylcholinesterase enzyme (AChE) at nerve endings. The enzyme is
critical to normal control of nerve impulse transmission from nerve fibers
to muscle and gland cells, and also to other nerve cells in autonomic
ganglia and in the brain. Some critical proportion of the tissue enzyme
mass must be inactivated by phosphorylation before symptoms and signs of
poisoning become manifest. At sufficient dosage, loss of enzyme function
allows accumulation of acetylcholine (ACh, the impulse-transmitting
substance) at cholinergic neuroeffector junctions (muscarinic effects), at
skeletal nerve-muscle junctions and autonomic ganglia (nicotinic effects),
and in the brain. At choliner-gic nerve junctions with smooth muscle and
gland cells, high ACh concentration causes muscle contraction and
secretion, respectively. At skeletal muscle junctions, excess ACh may be
excitatory (cause muscle twitching), but may also weaken or paralyze the
cell by depo-larizing the end-plate. In the brain, high ACh concentrations
cause sensory and behavioral disturbances, incoordination and depressed
motor function. Depression of respiration and pulmonary edema are the usual
causes of death from organophosphate poisoning. Recovery depends ultimately
on generation of new enzyme in all critical issues.

***********Sounds like pd to me - too much acetylcholine, senosry/behavorial
disturbances, incoordination and depressed motor function... ad
infinitum**************

6)  Organophosphates are efficiently absorbed by inhalation, ingestion, and
skin penetration. To a degree, the occurrence of poisoning depends on the
rate at which the pesticide is absorbed. Breakdown occurs chiefly by
hydrolysis in the liver; rates of hydrolysis vary widely from one compound
to another. In the case of certain organophosphates whose breakdown is
relatively slow, significant temporary storage in body fat may occur.

***********If it's stored in body fat, then it remains there indefinitely, to
be released at a later (stressful?) time*********

7)  Rarely, certain organophosphates have caused a different kind of
neurotoxicity consisting of damage to the axons of peripheral and central
nerves and associated with inhibition of "neurotoxic esterase" (NTE).
Manifestations have been chiefly weakness or paralysis and paresthesia of
the extremities, predominantly the legs, persistent for weeks to years.
Most of these rare occurrences have followed (8-21 days) an acute poisoning
episode of the anticholinesterase type, but some have not been preceded by
acute poisoning. Only a few of the many organophosphates used as pesticides
have been implicated as causes of delayed neuropathy in humans. EPA
guidelines require that organophosphate and carbamate compounds which are
candidate pesticides be tested in susceptible animal species for this
neurotoxic property

***********  Sound familiar at all to pd? *******************

8)  Other specific properties of individual organophosphates may render them
more hazardous than basic toxicity data suggest. By-products can develop in
long-stored malathion which strongly inhibit the hepatic enzymes operative
in malathion degradation, thus enhancing its toxicity. Certain
organophosphates are exceptionally prone to storage in fat tissue,
prolonging the need for antidote as stored pesticide is released back into
the circulation. Animal studies have demonstrated potentiation of effect
when two or more organophosphates are absorbed simultaneously: enzymes
critical to the degradation of one are inhibited by the other. Whether this
interaction is a significant factor in human poisonings is not known.

******* How encouraging - "more hazardous than basic toxicity data suggests"!
 Are we getting warm yet? ***************

In conclusion, let me pose the question - ARE WE SUFFERING FROM A DISEASE OR
HAVE WE BEEN POISONED??!!  And if the latter is true then - WHO'S RESPONSIBLE
AND WHAT DO WE DO NOW??!!

Wendy "Troublemaker" Tebay