Don't like to criticize, especially something that greatly benefits me, BUT
I'm just a bit troubled at the trend to copy entire long journal articles or
book chapters on the List. After all, those publications cost a lot to
produce and they are not eleemosynary. Even the universal practice of
photocopying in libraries can possibly be viewed as an abuse, tolerated by
publishers probably because they can't do much about it. It seems to me, the
courteous thing is to confine reproduction to an abstract or brief review,
or else to get permission. For readers who really need to retain complete
detail, journal authors usually are supplied with reprints for distribution
to anyone who asks. What I'm afraid of is, if the discourtesy becomes
prevalent, publishers may eventually retaliate by getting stricter rules and
enforcement, that will be harder on all of us.

BTW, best wishes for a glorious 4th to all.

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403