Dear Members,

Many have wondered about the benefits of "Blue Glasses".   Can just wearing a
pair of "Blue Glasses" help those with Parkinson's disease?  If I were to
tell you that twice I have had both an asthma and a dyskinesia attack.  Both
times I was ready to call 911 when I put on a pair of "Blue Glasses" and
within 5 to 10 seconds both the dyskinesia and the asthma were gone.  Rita
Weeks has written about the man who had difficulty walking along with other
PD symptom problems.  He tried a strip of blue cellophane to cover his eyes
and he walked almost normal without help.  Rita wears blue glasses as a rule
otherwise she would be severely restricted.  I recently received the
following letter:

==================

Alan Bonander
506 Riviera Place
San Ramon, CA 94583

Re: Clinical Testing of Blue Glasses And Other Ideas Developed By Tom Riess

Dear Alan,

     Over the past four years, my brother Tom has been investigating and
attempting to develop practical devices to assist those afflicted with
Parkinson's disease in walking more normally. You may have heard of his use
of modified "Blue Glasses" and other more esoteric devices which appear to be
quite promising.

     The Parkinson's Institute in Sunnyvale, CA has agreed to conduct
clinical trials of the Blue Glasses and other devices to determine whether
the beneficial effect of these devices can be scientifically verified and to
investigate further the physiologic basis for the phenomenon. Unfortunately,
research funding is in scare supply. We are attempting to generate research
funds on a "grassroots" basis by requesting contributions from individuals of
$100. These funds are being donated directly to The Parkinson's Institute as
restricted gifts, that is, gifts to be used for the specific purpose of
investigating Tom's ideas. All contributions are tax deductible.

     In appreciation for these donations, we are sending contributors a pair
of the Blue Glasses similar to those which will be used in the clinical
trials. I have enclosed a convenient form and stamped envelop which can be
used to make this donation. Thank you for your generous assistance.

Very truly yours,

Steven Riess

==================

Anyone interested in this grassroots effort to raise funds for this research
should send the donation with the following note attached:

=================

Carole Cassidy
Development Director
The Parkinson's Institute
1170 Morse Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94089-1605

Re: Clinical testing of "Blue Glasses" and other ideas developed by Tom Riess

Dear Ms. Cassidy:

I understand that The Parkinson's Institute will soon begin clinical testing
of the "Blue Glasses" and other devices developed by Tom Riess to aid those
afflicted with Parkinson's disease.  I would like to directly support your
research efforts by making a restricted gift in the amount of ________ to be
used solely for research efforts of the "Blue Glasses" and other ideas
developed by Tom Riess.  I understand that this gift is a tax deductible
contribution to a charitable organization.  Thank you for your efforts.

Sincerely,

<Your name and address>

====================

This should be sent to Carole Cassidy at The Parkinson's Institute address
given above.  For all donations of $100 or more, a pair of the "Blue Glasses"
as used for the research will be sent to you.  So please include your
address.

This is very exciting.  Finally Tom will get some of the credit he so richly
deserves. Many of you have seen Tom on TV in the PBS program or other
programs.  The blue glasses allowed Tom to downhill ski this past winter.
 This is something he has not done in over seven years.  Tom will be speaking
to the Young Support Group in Walcut Creek on July 15th.  Those interested in
attending should contact me (Alan Bonander 510-828-9599) for more
information.

I hope you will feel generous this 4th of July and send your restricted use
donation to The Parkinson's Institute.

Regards,
Alan Bonander ([log in to unmask])