Date: Wed, 05 Jul 1995 07:18:20 EDT
From: [log in to unmask] (MR ROBERT A MARTONE)
Subject: Parkinson's Action Network - Udall Bill

Beginning today July 5, the following letter is being sent to various
Parkinson's  mailing lists covering Texas.  The letter with attachments
is over 50 pages long and contains some excellent material that I
recieved at the PAN Washinton meeting in May. If you live in Texas and
want to help please let me know. If you know someone in Texas who you
believe can help also let me know.
Bob Martone [log in to unmask]
Parkinson's Action Network
Invisible No More

July 4, 1995

Dear Fellow Texans,

My wife has battled Parkinson's Disease for nearly twenty years. She
has suffered nearly every phase of the disease including two surgeries
to help restore the many losses that have overtaken her over the years.
Like most Parkinsonian's we have remained invisible for too long. We
are now out of the closet and are seeking your help to find a cure for
this awful disease.

What may be unique about this letter is that we are not asking you for
money. What we are asking for is for you to come out of the closet and
be heard by our congressmen and senators. We must let them know that
they have in their possession the power to find a cure for this disease,
not in the year 2020 or 2050 but by the end of this decade, the year
2000.

The Morris K. Udall Bill, Senate bill S 684 and House Bill HR 1462 was
reintroduced in April 1995, for consideration, this year, by both
Houses. To date only two Texas congressman have come out and said they
will co-Sponsor the bill. For this bill to pass we will need at least
16 Texas Congressman and both Senators to agree to be co-sponsors.

I have volunteered to be the Regional Coordinator for the State of
Texas and am committed to getting our state behind this bill, but I
will need your help. As a Board member of the Houston Area Parkinson
Society and now a Regional Coordinator for the Parkinson's Action
Network, I understand the hard work that it takes to get something like
this done. I also know that I can not do it alone.

My request is simple. I need 30 volunteers, one for each Congressional
District, to agree to call and visit your congressman during the next
four months to keep him or her abreast of how many co-sponsors the
Udall Bill has and to explain to he or she why this bill is so
important to the Parkinson community and to the national budget
deficit. I have been to Washington and visited both Senator Gramm's and
Senator Hutchison's offices and will continue to work with them and
their staff to get this legislation passed. I am committed to getting
them and my congressman, Jack Fields on board this summer.

If you can't be one of the thirty, you still can help immeasurably by
calling and writing your congressman and our senators. I have learned
from the Parkinson Action Network that phone calls are tabulated and
letters are counted and used by our representatives when they are
deciding how to vote on a particular issue. Your taking just a few
minutes to make the call or and hour to write a letter is key to our
success.

PLEASE ACT NOW! DON'T PUT THIS LETTER DOWN AND PLAN TO DO IT TOMORROW.
DO IT NOW.

Enclosed you will find all that you will need to understand the Udall
Bill, and to understand who you should call to get the message across.
All our congressmen, and the district they represent, are listed on the
attached. If you don't know what district you are in look on your voter
registration card. It tells you. Then by looking at the attached list
you can determine who your congressman is and then call him and ask him
to co-sponsor the Udall bill. Call every week this summer if you have
to until he says yes. I am told this works and works well. If you can,
visit his/her local office in person and let them see you and hear
about the pain and suffering that this disease has brought to you and
your family.

Caregivers and spouses, you play an important role in getting this
done. Many Parkinsonian's can not use the phone because of their tremor
or dyskenisia or because their voice will no longer carry this all
important message. Your support for your spouse, relative or friend is
extremely important to this national effort.

We will succeed but we need your help NOW!

If you are able to volunteer as coordinator for your congressional
district please call or write to me. I will keep you updated on all the
latest statistics, scheduled hearings and any important activities
taking place around these two bills. All you will have to do is contact
>>> 20 line(s) deleted...