From: Rita Weeks
Re: Cabergoline Trial

I have been on the Cabergoline trial since Jan 1993.  (Blind study for six
months, then open label.......I was on Cabergoline from the beginning, not
the placebo.)

Drug is D-2 agonist.  Taken 1x daily.   I started at .5 mg each day and every
two or three weeks increased dosage by .5 mg to a level I believe not to
exceed 5 mg./daily.   (I am currently at 4.5 mg)

Effect:  level out "on/off" periods with Sinamet.  Improvement in movement -
rigidity/bradykinesia.  (I don't recall if the Sinamet is masking my tremor
or if that masking came about after increasing the doses of cabergoline.)
Everyone in weekly contact with me noticed a return of what my husband refers
to as "spunk" when I reached the 3 mg level.  Whether this was a result of
the cabergoline or rather of finally being properly medicated is debatable I
am certain.

Side effects:  I experienced nausea for the first four months (reminded me
very much of morning sickness which I suffered for 9 months on different
occasions).  I know several men on the trial and none of them experienced the
nausea.

In general:  Although at times my nausea was bothersome, I noticed a distinct
improvement in movement and feeling of well-being about week 3 on the drug.
 I have not considered dropping the drug, think that it is very very
beneficial.

Personal Background:  50 year old female.  Diagnosed with PD in 1991.....saw
neurologist for symptoms first in 1983......takes a while sometimes!  Current
drugs:  Eldepryl 2/day; Sinamet CR  5/day (50/200's); Cabergoline 4.5
mg/daily; Premarin .625.
(I have wavered on the Premarin on several occasions but since my family
history tends to lean toward heart disease and I had a hysterectomy at age
38, I continue to take the estrogen replacement for the benefits of
protection against osteoporosis and heart disease and take my chances that
the PD will not be worse as a result of this drug therapy.)