 July 10, 1995 is the release date for a video by the Network for Continuing
Medical Education (NCME) which features Matthias C. Kurth, MD, PhD, who is the
Associate Director, Section of Movement Disorders, Barrow Neurological
Institute, St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix,AZ.

 It will be available for viewing at many medical libraries and the focus of
of the program is assisting family physicians identify Parkinson's earlier and
diffrentiate it from Alzheimer's or essential tremor. Dr. Kurth presents a
straight-forward review of the clinical diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease,
offers a detailed analysis of current pharmacological management, and provides
perspective on experimental treatments such as fetal tissue transplant and
pallidotomy.

The video is:
AMA Category 1: Up to Two Credit Hours
American Academy of Family Physicians: 2 Prescribed Hours
American Osteopathis Association Category 2A: Up to Two Credit Hours

Learning Objectives
After completing this telecourse, participating physicians should be able to:

 Differentiate the clinical signs and symptoms of Parkinson's Disease
 from other disorders.

 Describe the steps in the evaluation of patients with suspected Parkinson's
 Disease;

 Outline appropriate pharmacological therapy for patients with Parkinson's
 Disease;

 Counsel patients on the appropriate role of new surgical techniques in the
 treatment of Parkinson's Disease.

Suggested Reading

 Aminoff MJ, Treatment of Parkinson's disease. West J Med. 1994;161(3):303-8.

 Lieberman A, An integrated approach to patient management in Parkinson's
 disease. Neurol Clin. 1992;10(2):553-65.

 Paulsen GW. Management of the patient with newly-diagnosed Parkinson's
 disease. Geriatrics. 1993;48(2):30-40.

John Cottingham                      KNOWLEDGE is of two kinds: we know
[log in to unmask]                      a subject, or we know where we can
OR                                   find information upon it."
[log in to unmask]            Dr. Samuel Johnson