I.

I have been reading the many posts on this PD listserver for only a
week.  But one thing already strikes me as somewhat interesting.  Even
accounting for the fact that older people are less connected to the
'net and that some of you are reading this on behalf of your parents,
there seem to be more younger people with PD than I would have
suspected previously.

Thus, some of you would look physically healthy, though still have
symptoms of PD.  My only conclusion from this observation is that
certain individuals in society (such as the younger of us reading
this) have been subjected to something that causes damage not to the
body as a whole, as would be the case with general old age, but to
specifically the parts of the body that if damaged would cause PD.
This supports the toxin theory that some of Wendy's posts would seem
to indicate.  Again, it can be deduced without any knowledge of the
physiology of the body.

II.

This begs the question of what the environmental toxins or factors
are.  I have a couple of ideas on this that I would like feedback on.
They both center on brain damage related to the dopamine pathways that
can occur under special conditions.  The following questions/points are
especially directed to young and middle-aged people with symptoms of PD.

a) Do some of us have a mild form of PKU (phenylketonuria)?  People
with this disease have deficient levels of pteridine reductase, which
regenerates the cofactor responsible for removing (the toxic)
phenylalanine.  The symptoms I would guess such people would have are
headaches upon ingestion of foods with high phenylalanine amino ratios,
such as soft drinks with Nutrasweet, or headaches upon taking "brain
pills" or appetite-suppressors sold in health food stores, which can
contain isolated tyrosine or phenylalanine.  To have caused any brain
damage leading to PD, ingestion of such compounds would have been
necessary just before the patient developed PD symptoms.

b) Is there a possibility that taking B-vitamin supplements elevates
all but the pteridine reductase enzyme reaction rates, resulting
elevated phyenylalanine ratios and a chemically induced form of mild
PKU?  In other words, did any people take multivitamins that contain
more than the RDA levels of B vitamins before getting PD?

Note:  I have no real evidence that multivitamins, Nutrasweet or
phenylalanine supplements do cause PD; I just want feedback on these
highly questionable ideas before pursuing them further.

Sincerely,
Jason Taylor
Jason Taylor | "Doctor, don't cut so deep!
Greenbelt, MD|  That's the third operating table you've ruined this week!"