>Attn: Stephen Neumeier and Peter Morabito
>
>You both alluded to pallidotomies with less than exciting results.  I'd
>like to echo Lisa Carper's request for more information.  This list is
>designed to facilitate the exchange of all kinds of viewpoints.  Please
>share your experiences with us.
>
>Thanks.
>Joanna

Dear Joanna,

DITTO -

One of the problems with pallidotomy is that much of the data is anecdotal.
We have some exciting stories here on the list of how it has helped a large
number of people.  We hear little about the failures complications and
mortality asssociated with the procedure.  The indications for the procedure
have not been well  researched scientifically.  On a list such as this I
think it is easy to talk about the good news and be discouraged from
"raining on the parade" by reporting bad news.  I want to encourage Stephen
and Peter to elaborate on their experiences and all of us to share the
downside of this or any new treatment.

I think  that the preliminary data is quite encouraging for pallidotomy.  I
have been considering it for myself for the past year. At the same time we
need to examine both the risks and benefits as potential candidates  for the
procedure with good scientifically derived data as well as from the
anecdotes (which are also important) and if I do have a pallidotomy it will
be at a center that is involved in good research on the subject to make the
choices easier for PD patients in 5-10 years.

Charlie

 Charles T. Meyer
 Madison, WI