In article  Sheryl Faust <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Lately, a topic has drawn much attention in South Florida, and
>I've been asked to post a request to all on the list for any
>information out there regarding an anti-aging hormone known as
>DHEA.  I've been told that in some cases of PD (don't know what
>else this hormone is used to treat) dramatic improvement has been
>noticed while on this med.  It seems that DHEA is not readily
>available in the U.S., and most doctors will tell patients who
>inquire about it that they cannot get it.

>Any info regarding availability of this hormone, research on it, or
>first hand knowledge of it's benefits/or lack of, would be greatly
>appreciated.  Thanks!

>Sherry Faust

 I did see a little snippet on the local news about DHEA and they interviewed
Dr. Samuel Yen from the University of Calif at San Diego. The reporter
said the efficacy of the compound is disputed.

The literature doesn't address Parkinson's and DHEA but I did find a study
on some elderly subjects. Evidently DHEA (prasterone) is present in the body
but decreases with aging. Here is the abstract.

<1>
Authors
  Morales AJ.  Nolan JJ.  Nelson JC.  Yen SS.
Institution
  Department of Reproductive Medicine, University of California School of
  Medicine, La Jolla 92093-0802.
Title
  Effects of replacement dose of dehydroepiandrosterone in men and women of
  advancing age.
Source
  Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.  78(6):1360-7, 1994 Jun.
Abstract
  Aging in humans is accompanied by a progressive decline in the secretion
  of the adrenal androgens dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and DHEA sulfate
  (DS), paralleling that of the GH-insulin-like growth factor-I (GH-IGF-I)
  axis. Although the functional relationship of the decline of the GH-IGF-I
  system and catabolism is recognized, the biological role of DHEA in human
  aging remains undefined. To test the hypothesis that the decline in DHEA
  may contribute to the shift from anabolism to catabolism associated with
  aging, we studied the effect of a replacement dose of DHEA in 13 men and
  17 women, 40-70 yr of age. A randomized placebo-controlled cross-over
  trial of nightly oral DHEA administration (50 mg) of 6-month duration was
  conducted. During each treatment period, concentrations of androgens,
  lipids, apolipoproteins, IGF-I, IGF-binding protein-1 (IGFBP-1), IGFBP-3,
  insulin sensitivity, percent body fat, libido, and sense of well-being
  were measured. A subgroup of men (n = 8) and women (n = 5) underwent 24-h
  sampling at 20-min intervals for GH determinations. DHEA and DS serum
  levels were restored to those found in young adults within 2 weeks of DHEA
  replacement and were sustained throughout the 3 months of the study. A
  2-fold increase in serum levels of androgens (androstenedione,
  testosterone, and dihydrotestosterone) was observed in women, with only a
  small rise in androstenedione in men. There was no change in circulating
  levels of sex hormone-binding globulin, estrone, or estradiol in either
  gender. High density lipoprotein levels declined slightly in women, with
  no other lipid changes noted for either gender. Insulin sensitivity and
  percent body fat were unaltered. Although mean 24-h GH and IGFBP-3 levels
  were unchanged, serum IGF-I levels increased significantly, and IGFBP-1
  decreased significantly for both genders, suggesting an increased
  bioavailability of IGF-I to target tissues. This was associated with a
  remarkable increase in perceived physical and psychological well-being for
  both men (67%) and women (84%) and no change in libido. In conclusion,
  restoring DHEA and DS to young adult levels in men and women of advancing
  age induced an increase in the bioavailability of IGF-I, as reflected by
  an increase in IGF-I and a decrease in IGFBP-1 levels. These observations
  together with improvement of physical and psychological well-being in both
  genders and the absence of side-effects constitute the first demonstration
  of novel effects of DHEA replacement in age-advanced men and women.

Make of it what you may.

John Cottingham                     "KNOWLEDGE is of two kinds: we know
[log in to unmask]                      a subject, or we know where we can
OR                                   find information upon it."
[log in to unmask]            Dr. Samuel Johnson