Karin:

I just read your heartfelt posting to Marianne regarding her father.  You
meantioned having a sense of humor is helpful in dealing with PD.  I
couldn't agree more.  I would like to share with you and the list an
excerpt from an article i recently wrote on PD.  It's an anecdote about
having a sense of humor while moving about in the world.
Article Excerpt:

I have moved beyond being embarrased by my tremor, though I admit it is
easier physically and emotionally to move about in public while my tremor
is mananged by medication.  I find it an interesting observational
experiment to notice others as they try not to notice my tremor.  My public
experiences span the sprectrum, from people who genuinely inquire if I am
O.K., to those who seem embarrased by my presence and hastily look away,
avoiding eye contact.  One experience in particular afforded me the
opportunity to put my PD humor into practice.
        I had been visiting family near Los Angeles during the January,
1994 Northridge Earthquake.  I was flying out of the Los Angeles airport
the following day.  I entered a gift shop to purchase a newspaper.  My
medication had not yet begun quieting my left arm tremor.  The young woman
behind the counter inquired if I was O.K.  I smiled and replied: "Yes, I'm
simply experiencing an aftershock."  The woman's face registered confusion,
and I had no wish to make her feel uncomfortable, so I quickly ammended:
"It's a medical condition, I'm fine."
        The personal moral I carry from this story is (and what I tell
others, PD  afflicted or not): if we learn to find humor within ourselves,
it is easier to find it in and move through the world.

"Peace from the clouds"                       \--*MH*--/

Birth Name: Jeffrey Romanyshyn          Email: mythhawk@west,net
Spiritual/Animal Moniker: Mythic-Hawk   Occupations: Poet/Ph.D. student:

                                                     Mythological Studies

"The instant you realize you truly love someone, life makes sense"

If you wish, please check out some of my poetry (written under ROM
CARPATHIAN) and other fine literary creations at the M. David Lewis
Enterprises HomePage at: http://www.mdle.com/