Hey!

My dad, aside from being a chemical engineer, part Scot (his Mom's name was
Todd)  and a stubborn personality, not a real social-out-going guy.....he
rarely drank liquids!   I remember as a kid that he always took his pills
DRY.  As his PD progressed I would occasionally go berserk about his lack of
liquids....I drink a lot of water, and can't imagine not drinking
constantly.   Now that he is tube fed, I do get a perverse pleasure in
putting an extra squirt of water in his tummy after pills!   I DO think it
helps the meds work.

Mind you, he is often incontinent, and I don't help.  His urologist has
prescribed 1 hytrin at night that helps diminish the urge to urinate.  It
was explained to me that the PD only makes him believe he has to go, and it
is not the same as incontinence.  Any more than one hytrin a night makes his
BP go too low.   Last winter the home health nurse clocked his BP at 80/60
and quipped "Richard, you died yesterday and didn't tell anyone".   But we
keep on....

Dad's been on Sinemet since it came out and sure there are side effects, but
it's kept him here with us for 25 plus years.

I spent 4th of July with my parents in Wisconsin...my impressions were as
always, an awe of how much my Mom has to do to keep up with everything, and
an appreciation for what all of you full-time caregivers go through.   Dad
has ulcer medications that have to be given 1/2 hour before feeding, so
between meds and food, my Mom has to do the tube bit 8 - 10 times a day.
 What stress!

Question:  My mom has arthritis in her hands.  To put the meds in the tube
she cuts the big ones in two and uses a hand screw pill crusher, and then
lets them dissolve in hot water.  She buys everything she can in liquid
form.  While my sister was visiting for 2 weeks, she did the pill crushing
and my Moms hands visibly improved.  I hate to see her have to go back to
hand crushing.  Does any one have a suggestion?  Are there electric
crushers?

Sorry that I rambled on...

Sara Byron