In article  BITNET list server at UTORONTO (1.7f)
 <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>John--here's the other return message on my search. I copied the format in your
>posr re: using archives: //DBlook JOB Echo=No
>                         Database Search DD=Rules
>                         //Rules DD*
>                          select menopause in parkinsn

> Two replies saying different parts were wrong???Help?  CAmilla F.
>DDname "RULES" not found in job stream.

>John--I've twice rec'd this back from listserv--tried to follow your
>instructions saved from March2--what did I do wrong?  I'm trying to
>get this info for someone in our support group--but in any case should
>know how to use the archives, and did so once with no problem
>Thanks for your help--Camilla F.
>Unknown command - "DD*". Try HELP.
>This is  not the proper way  to access the LISTSERV  database. You should
>either use the LDBASE user-interface  for interactive access, or submit a
>DATABASE job. Please refer to LISTDB MEMO (available via an INFO DATABASE
>command) for more information.

There have several updates of the instructions, always save the latest one
because what is added my help you.

I have intentionally left out some things in the instructions that could be
considered confusing to a new user, preferring to emphasise the saving
of the search engine and they you could import it into your message to the
listserv for your searches.

1. The import or Cut & Paste procedure eliminates errors like your are
   having.

2. For those who have encountered these error messages and didn't know what to
   make of them, here are the answers.

//DBlook JOB Echo=No
Database Search DD=Rules
//DBlook JOB Echo=No
select menopause in parkinsn

  Sending this will get you this from the listserv:

DDname "RULES" not found in job stream.

//Rules DD*       A space was not left between the end of Rules and *
                  Spaces are important because you are using another language
                  that requires them.

//DBlook JOB Echo=No    Listserv looks for 3 spaces before and after JOB

select menopause in parkinsn  Listserv looks for 1 space after select and
                              1 space before in.

If you save the search engine to file using the latest instructions, and
then insert it into messages to the listserv, you won't have to remember all
of this. Cut and Paste from another message into what ever you are sending
also works extremely well.

This search will work.

//DBlook   JOB   Echo=No
Database Search DD=Rules
//Rules DD *
select menopause in parkinsn

John Cottingham                     "KNOWLEDGE is of two kinds: we know
[log in to unmask]                      a subject, or we know where we can
OR                                   find information upon it."
[log in to unmask]            Dr. Samuel Johnson