Lisa Carper asked about beginning Sinemet.  Our experience:

Don was diagnosed at age 37 and began taking Cogentin, then added Symmetrel.
These controlled the tremor (his major symptom) adequately for six years.  At
the time these proved ineffective (i.e., tremor not suppressed), he began taking
Sinemet at low dosage (200mg/day).  Things were fine for ten or eleven years.
Eventually, however, low doses of Sinemet proved ineffective, and he began
increasing his dosage--up to 2,800mg/day.  This amt. of Sinemet did have serious
unpleasant side effects (Sinemet CR was worse).  Decreasing the dosage to elimin
ate side effects meant the tremor was so bad he couldn't sit still, couldn't
walk, had trouble eating, reading, etc.  That's why we went to France and had
the VIM stimulation surgery last year.  Tremor is all but eliminated, and he's
been able to cut Sinemet to 500mg/day (no side effects).  He also takes Eldepryl
.

So--delay Sinemet as long as possible but don't go so long that symptoms are
unbearable (whatever that is to you).  Start with as low a dosage as possible.
Continue to study alternatives and to support research.  There may be better
medicines--perhaps even a cure--before yourusband get to the point that sent
us to France.

Joanne Sandstrom