Ray,

I wold suggest that you investigate his eating/swallowing ability.  My
father had trouble keeping weight on prior to his feeding tube.  the PD
affects the throat muscles as well, and while we thought he was eating
enough (he spent a lot of time at the table)  the truth was that it was SO
much effort to eat enough calories that he began to "waste away".

I would try to see if he could enjoy a diet supplement drink like Ensure.
 (I think there are less expensive ones.)  But talk to him about whether he
is having swallowing difficulties.  We were concerned about stomach cancer
and ulcers and other ailments, but the truth was just that my dad was
undernourished.

Now that we tube feed him he has put on weight, has better color and his
meds work better.  BTW - his butt never came back - I think that is an older
man tendency - at least in our family.  The problem is that he slides out of
chairs sometimes!

CHAIRS ON STAIRS:   Look into renting one of those chairs that runs on a
motorized chain mechanism.  We had one installed for dad's second floor
townhome.  It is also on an outside wall.  It mounts on the stairs, not the
wall.  They are installed for you and can be rented.   My mom loves it for
groceries, laundry and even uses it herself.  It is scary to think of him
falling down a flight.

There are a lot of aid available, and I know they can injure dignity, but I
always go for the "We want you around for the grandkids"  reasoning.

Take care.  Hop this helps.  At least you know other people have been there,
done that.

Sara Byron