MARYLAND RESIDENTS-Write to Sen. Mikulski!
This is what I wrote:

July 13, 1995

Arlene S. Allen
9928 Brixton Lane
Bethesda, MD 20817

Sen. Barbara Mikulski
U.S. Senate
Washington, DC

Re: Udall Bill

Dear Senator Mikulski:

Thank you for your work on the Udall Bill.  I did not know how
important it
was until recently, when my husband recently retired from
public service
because he felt too weak to work.  It was only afterwards that
he was
diagnosed as having Parkinson's Disease.  If he is typical, he
could have
continued to contribute to the economy for many more years. As
I see it, he
is representative of all of the thousands of people in the
nation who have
been forced to cease working due to a disabling--yet, possibly
preventable--
disease.

Surely, if a disease such as Parkinson's can be prevented, it
is in the best
interests of the State and the Nation, as well as the victim,
to find a cure
that will enable these citizens to maintain health and remain
employed.

Parkinson's Disease has been greatly underfunded, receiving
only $26 per
patient annually in research dollars, as opposed to $258 for
Multiple
Sclerosis and $295 for Cancer.  Promising breakthroughs are in
the offing
right now!  The $100 million allocation of the Udall bill is
cost effective
because that amount is far less than the estimated $6 billion
needed to
sustain patients--such as my husband, through SSI, Medicare,
Medicaid, and
the insurance system.

Our country cannot afford to continue to ignore this growing
problem.
Your continued support is crucial.

Sincerely,

Arlene S. Allen