I just accompanied Carol Gray to visit Congressman Mike
Doyle.  Carol should be a model for  us all.  Upon returning from
the PAN Advocacy Forum I asked  her to take responsibility for
coordinating efforts to obtain Congressman Doyle support and
cosponsor of the Udall Bill.  She promptly set up a meeting with his
aid locally.  This is where many of  us would have said we did
what was asked of us.  But Carol  continued to push for a
meeting with  Doyle. " He won't be available until August." was his
office's  response. " I can't wait until August.  I need to see him
now if only for five minutes." replyed Carol.  We saw Doyle  last Thursday
morning for almost  an hour.  He agreed to cosponsor the Udall
Bill.

There were a couple of things I took from that meeting:

1) If we could set as a goal, and accomplish it by fall, of having at
least one person with  Parkinson's Disease personally see each
Congressman and Senator, the Udall Bill would be well on its
way  to enactment.  We have a compelling case.  Its not easy
for  someone to say no to us face to  face.

2) Doyle emphasized the importance of committees.  We have
to get support from key  committee members.  Joan Samuelson
emphasized this at the  PAN Advocacy Forum.  Below is  a list
of key committee members.  If you see your elected official  on
that list without an asterisk  indicating they have agreed to
cosponsor, use Carol Gray as an  example.  Go see them.
Don't  take no for an answer.  This is important to you, its your
life.  The increased funding in the Udall  Bill may seed the
finding of a cure by years.

In the sixties there was a saying "Power to the people".  If you
don't already know you might be suprized at the power we have.  Carol
Gray used hers.  Use your's.

If you need informatioin to take with you please contact me.
[log in to unmask]  Please report all visits to PAN.

Senate Labor & Human Resources Committee
Kassebaum,R-KA Chair
Abraham,R-MI
Ashcroft,R- MO
Coats,R-IN
DeWine,R-OH
Dodd,D-CN
Frist*,R-TN
Gorton,R-WA
Gregg, R-NH
Harkin,D-IW
Jeffords,R-VT.
Kennedy,D-MA
Mikulski,D-MD
Pell*, D-RI
Simon*,D-IL
Wellstone*,D-MN

House Sub Committee on Health
Bilirakis,R-FL Chair
Barton,R-TX
Bilbray,R-NV
Brown,D-OH
Bryant,D-TX
Burr,R-NC
Coburn,R-OK
Deutsch*,D-FL
Franks,R-CN
Ganske,R-IW
Greenwood*,R-PA
Hall,D-TX
Hastert,R-Ill.
Klug,R-WI
Lambert Lincoln,D-AR
Norwood,R-GA
Pallone*,D-NJ
Stearns,R-FL
Studds*,S-MA
Stupak,D-MI
Towns*,D-NY
Upton*,R-MI
Waxman*,D-CA
Whitfield,R-KY
Wyden,D-OR.

An asterisk (* ) indicates agreed to cosponsor.

"One man with courage is a majority" - Andrew Jackson