Last night in Pittsburgh a local PBS channel had a Dr. Richard Kasdan for 30
minutes about PD. I was very disappointed in Dr. Kasdan's presentation; the
only thing he talked about with any encouragement was Sinemet. Jeff saw Dr.
K in the early going before his symptons were hardly noticable and Dr. K
just wanted to give him Sinemet right away and 'see you in a few months'.
Kasdan was subtlely (sic?) down on Pallidotomy and Fetal transplants,
offering really no hope for the future. The reason I write this message is
twofold:
1. For any Pittsburgh-ers who might have seen the show; comments?
2. For everyone else; this points to the importance of being your biggest
advocate. There are drs. out there who don't want to look beyond Sinemet.
While necessary and appropriate as a drug treatment, PD'ers need to keep
searching and pressuring for more funding to PD research. A better treatment
and cure is closer all the time.
Lisa Carper