> Has anyone heard of the term "Hypoparathyroidism?"  It is a problem
> connected with calcium in the body.  I have this condition along with
> Parkinson's which was diagnosed in 86.  I take Sinemet, Artane, and
> Eldyprel for the Parkinson's.  Would like to hear from other people too
> if you know anything about this and also would like to hear more on the
> Scottish nationality and its connection with Parkinson's.  Guess what
> my nationality is...Scottish, natch. Your list has been very
> informative and awaiting a reply..Susan Michael <Bert1ix.netcom.com>

The parathyroid gland is located adjacent to the thyroid gland.  The
parathyroid is responsible for regulating calcium metabolism.  Sometimes
during the removal of the thyroid, the parathyroid is accidently removed
as well causing the patient to develop tetany (an absolute inability to
move which can result in death).  I am not familiar with
hypoparathyroidism occuring without accidental surgical removal, but I do
know that in any case the condition can be adequately treated with calcium.
It is not related to Parkinsons.
-----
Best Wishes
Mary Ann Ryan RN