I can't tell you how delighted I am with the humor exhibited by this group.
Thanks.  I'm also collecting some excellent recipes.  Thanks again!

k.

>A friend and I planned to make fava bean salad for a Parkinsons Disease
>Association picnic. After reading Robert Fink's references on favism, we
>wondered if ONE taste could cause favism in people with the susceptibility.
> According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, it might:
>"FAVISM, a hereditary disorder involving an allergic-like reaction to the
>broad bean (vicia fava).  Susceptible persons may develop a blood disorder
>(hemolytic anemia) by eating the bean, or even by walking through a field
>where the plants are in flower.
>  The known distribution of the disease is largely limited to people of
>Mediterranean origin (Spaniards, Italians, Greeks, Armenians, and Jews).
> Susceptibility to favism is inherited as a sex-linked trait and appears to
>be closely related to glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (q.v.)."
>  We have decided to serve a harmless green salad at the picnic.
>                                        [log in to unmask] (Sara Thomas)

Mrs. Karin M. Beros, MSO                     [log in to unmask]
International and Area Studies               voice:  (510) 642-8542
Office of the Dean, 260 Stephens Hall        fax:    (510) 642-9466
Mail Code 2300