There are some among us who are highly educated in medicine, others
who are highly educated in life and have a natural curiosity on how
to make it better for themselves and sharing that knowledge with others.
In the laboratory of life, sometimes we suceed and sometimes we fail,
but we are not to be faulted for trying.

Those who earn a good living writing prescriptions to cure the ails of the
world, have a way of "chilling" any efforts to improve quality of life
through diet or exercise or wanting you to know what is wrong with you
and knowing what treatments, other than what they are recommending, are
available. Patient knowledge, for that matter, the patients right to
actively participate in their treatment plan, threatens them and their
lifestyle. Many states require continuing education to keep a medical
license in effect. This can be as bothersome as reading the journals of
their specialty.

Folks with X chromasome defects who consume large portions (300 mg) vaba
beans over a period of time (years perhaps?) definitely have residual
reaction to them in their diet. By the same token, if they did not eat
faba beans and were levodopa responsive as is the case with Parkinson's
disease, the result would be the the same by taking the pills.

The following citation cuts to the chase.

Authors
  Territo MC.  Peters RW.  Tanaka KR.
Title
  Autoimmune hemolytic anemia due to levodopa therapy.
Source
  JAMA.  226(11):1347-8, 1973 Dec 10.

A 67 year-old white man developed Coombs test-positive hemolytic anemia
secondary to levodopa therapy for Parkinson disease. The initial episode
of anemia occurred after 11 months and 660 gm of drug exposure. A warm
autoantibody directed against the Rh locus was found in the patients
serum and on his erythrocytes. On discontinuance of levodopa therapy,
the autoimmune hemolytic anemia abated.

THIS PATIENT WAS STARTED ON THE EQUIVALENT OF 20 10/100 STANDARD RELEASE
SINEMETS A DAY AND INCREASED TO 30 10/100s.

Another study followed the etiology of a case of a boy in Scandinavia who
developed favism (hemolytic anemia) after eating 300 g of Vicia faba beans.
This was the effect of taking 3 25/250 standard release Sinemets at one
time.

PARKINSON'S PATIENTS WHO ARE LEVODOPA RESPONSIVE SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM
CONSUMING AN EQUIVALENT AMOUNT OF FABA BEANS TITRATED AS A SUBSTITUTE TO
THEIR NORMAL LEVODOPA DOSAGE.

NON-PARKINSON'S PATIENTS WHO CONSUME THE FABA BEAN RECIPES PROVIDED HERE
SHOULD NOT EXPERIENCE ANY ADVERSE EFFECTS BUT A NEW EXPERIENCE IN FOOD.

The equivalents reported by Kempster and Wahlqvist were:

100 g faba beans =  1 25/250 standard release carbidopa/levodopa

100 g faba beans = 3.527 ounces/weight

Examples:

If you want to try the faba beans and your normal dose of Sinemet standard
release or Madopar is 100 mg, about 1 3/4 ounces of faba beans would
be equivalent.

If you normal dose is Sinemet CR, the equivalent dose is 70% of what ever
size dose you take.

Hints on faba bean dishes. If the faba beans are weighed out, and bagged
in cheese cloth, they can be dropped in the pot and cooked with the other
ingredients. After every thing is done, remove the bags and use one bag
per serving mixed with the other ingredients.

The functional effects of faba beans last about 5 hours where as the
functional life of the standard release tablet is 2 hours or less.

After a meal of faba beans wait until your next "off" period before
resuming your medication.

I am looking forward to hearing the responses of those who aren't afraid
to take charge of their own destinys and aren't frightened by the naysayers
to either prove or disprove the efficancy of faba beans in ocasionally
enjoying something new.

John Cottingham                     "KNOWLEDGE is of two kinds: we know
[log in to unmask]                      a subject, or we know where we can
OR                                   find information upon it."
[log in to unmask]            Dr. Samuel Johnson