        Is it possible that non-autonomic motor responses aquired prior to
developing PD are easier to maintain or reaquire?
        I began my studies on the violin at age 6 and continued playing till age
39 (1988).  At that time I thought that I was burnt out and getting old (it was
actually the progression of PD), so I stopped playing.  I was diagnosed in'92
with  having PD since '86 or so.  The treatments I'm recieving are letting me
recover better use of my left side to the point where I'm playing the violin
again on an occasional basis.
        What I've noticed is that when playing pieces that I studied and/or
memorized prior to onset of PD, I sound a little rusty but basicly good.
However, when I attempt to practice something new,   much to my consternation
(...or is it my neighbors' consternation?) I seem to find it much more difficult
to play , even though the music is technicaly easier.  Whereas before I used to
be able to blast my way through pieces of this level of difficulty.
        Is this my imagination or is there some physical basis for this?  Anybody
have similar experiences?
                Gabriel Zwierski