> I am new to the PD list.  I've begun following it for my father-in-law
> who has PD. What is "Feldenkais?"- a drug.
> Please e-mail me at [log in to unmask]
> Thanks,
> Tim Heller
>
> On Thu, 20 Jul 1995, Claudia Elliott wrote:
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> >   Has anyone had experience with Feldenkrais, either as a student or as a
> > teacher.  Last week someone posted a note about this, but I lost the note
> > before I could get it downloaded.
> >      I'd be interested in anything anyone can say about Feldenkrais lessons
> > for YPD's,  the nature of its usefulness, and what things improved, and in
> > what way.  Thanks alot.
> >
> >                                                                 Claudia
> > Elliott
> >                                                                  Chicago ,
> > Ill.

Hi, Everyone,
Feldenkrais is a method of physical therapy.  Moshe Feldenkrais (1904-84)
devised his methods for people to develop self-awareness and explore more
flexible and efficient ways to move.  Using the natural intelligence of the
body, the Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement technique enhances physical
functioning.  Instructions for gentle guided movement sequences (while sitting,
standing or lying on the floor) promote relaxation, increase your range and
ease of movement and improve the quality of your thinking.  It can help with
movement and rigidity problems.

There have been some courses offered here in Melbourne (Aust) on this method,
though I know that's not much help to those in North American.  I personally
find that even going to my local gym a couple times of week helps keep me more
flexible, though I don't do aerobics as I feel too "clutzy" and move too slowly
to keep up with the others.  I try to do equal amounts of cardio-vascular work
and working with light weights on the machines.

Hope you can find a place where you can do some appropriate exercise as I feel
very strongly that it slows the progress of the disease and helps your
self-esteem.

Celia Jones