In article  Milton McLain <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Hi out there!

>Unless I am mistaken, any dopamine consumed as fava beans is not available
>to the brain since it is unable to pass through the blood-brain barrier
>membrane.   Correct?

Milton, we're gathering anecdotal evidence. We have a nutrition study in the
archive and we are reproducing it on the list. Some are growing the vicia faba
and others are learning how to fix and eat it.

Informal phase I clinical trials have been done previously and we are in phase
II now.<g>

We are going to prove in our own unscientific ways if it is true or not...once
and for all to see.

Our own, "famous", Mathias Kurth said in his continuing education video for
doctors that "Vicia faba was a source of natural levodopa."

To answer your question, the L-dopa does pass the blood-brain barrier.

The improvements noted in the literature, ie. finger tapping, and walking time
tests last approximately 4 hours per serving.

The dyskinesia score peaks about 30 minutes after eating. drops and
varies slightly over the next 3 hours followed by an "end of dose" peak
which tapers to the "off" condition at about 5 hours.

The "end of dose" plasma L-dopa levels for Vicia faba ingestion at 5 hours are
similar to those seen one hour after taking carbidopa/levodopa dose.

Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 1993: 2(2).

If you would like to follow along, search for dietary factors with the search
tools used with the print all statement to get the study.

Conversion factors:

100 g faba beans and pods = therapeutic effect of = one 25/250
                                                    carbidopa/levodopa

100 grams = 3.527 ounces weight

John Cottingham                     "KNOWLEDGE is of two kinds: we know
[log in to unmask]                      a subject, or we know where we can
OR                                   find information upon it."
[log in to unmask]            Dr. Samuel Johnson