Hello To All,

        The discussion on fava beans the past couple of days has been quite
interesting.  I cook them for my Dad because he actually likes them.   They
are, however, sometime very hard to find  "fresh", so we use the
"Progresso" brand out of the can.  I simmer them slowly for about 20
minutes or so with a lot of garlic, basil, olive oil, oregano, black pepper
and somtimes fresh tomatoes.  Dad then will pour as much lemon juice as he
likes in the entire bowl when they are served to him (he pours lemon juice
on everthing, though).

        Just a side note because I have seen Bob Fink's warning a couple of
times...Dad is from Lebanon and is legally blind in one eye and vision in
the second is 20/80.  Dad continues to eat the fava beans, often.  He will
ask me to fix them if he is going to be out of the house for an extended
period of time, because he insists, that "it helps".  He's 83 years old and
if he says it helps, I believe him.  There have been days when he has asked
for them for breakfast.  I, quite frankly, find them nauseating at 8
o'clock in the morning but if he is going be in a discussion group at
church, or something like that, he insists on having them.  Anyway, just my
two cents worth, or maybe my Dad's two cents.

June