Well, my friends.  I think I can help you here.  We are ethnically Greek
and have lived in the Middle East, where my husband was chairman of the
Department of Political Science and Public Administration at the American
University of Beirut.

In these eastern Mediterranean cultures fava beans are eaten as a salad
kind of meal, but not in the western sense of "salad" with greens and
things.  The Greeks call the style of cooking ladera (that's a delta "d,"
pronounced like the "th" in the word thee).

Fresh fava are best, but dried are also fine.  Since I haven't yet
started my work day, I'd better be quick here!

Either shell fresh beans or soak overnight the dried ones.  Assume you are
starting with a pound of fresh favas or half a pound of dried beans.
Cover in a pot with a combination of water and olive oil (half and half?).
Add the juice of one lemon, a chopped onion (you might saute this first;
it enhances the flavor), a carrot, a large handful of chopped parsley, and
a chopped tomato or two.  Salt to taste; also add a small spoon of sugar
-- it's good for the onions!  Add a few cloves of chopped garlic (or leave
them out, if you prefer).  Cook this concoction very slowly for a couple
of hours; less if you start with fresh beans (all you real cooks out there
will wince at this, but it does work).  Check the level of liquid in the
pot periodically so it won't go dry.  The completed dish should have
discrete but tender fava beans, but the rest of the ingredients will
probably have collapsed into a very tasty sauce for them.  The dish
shouldn't be runny.

I think you'll enjoy it, unless you have a
particular aversion to olive oil.  Ladera can be substituted for a main
dish, i.e. a meal without meat.  Add a salad of fresh tomatoes, a little
feta cheese, maybe a glass of wine, and enjoy!

k.

Mrs. Karin M. Beros, MSO                        [log in to unmask]
International and Area Studies                  voice:  (510) 642-8542
Office of the Dean, 260 Stephens Hall           fax:    (510) 642-9466