Dear June:

I was so pleased to see this posting.  It did remind me of our days in The
Lebanon.  My husband also puts lemon juice on everything.  I haven't really
learned to do it, but I'll bet it's one of the health secrets of the Eastern
Mediterranean, along with fava beans!

k.

>Hello To All,
>
>        The discussion on fava beans the past couple of days has been quite
>interesting.  I cook them for my Dad because he actually likes them.   They
>are, however, sometime very hard to find  "fresh", so we use the
>"Progresso" brand out of the can.  I simmer them slowly for about 20
>minutes or so with a lot of garlic, basil, olive oil, oregano, black pepper
>and somtimes fresh tomatoes.  Dad then will pour as much lemon juice as he
>likes in the entire bowl when they are served to him (he pours lemon juice
>on everthing, though).
>
>        Just a side note because I have seen Bob Fink's warning a couple of
>times...Dad is from Lebanon and is legally blind in one eye and vision in
>the second is 20/80.  Dad continues to eat the fava beans, often.  He will
>ask me to fix them if he is going to be out of the house for an extended
>period of time, because he insists, that "it helps".  He's 83 years old and
>if he says it helps, I believe him.  There have been days when he has asked
>for them for breakfast.  I, quite frankly, find them nauseating at 8
>o'clock in the morning but if he is going be in a discussion group at
>church, or something like that, he insists on having them.  Anyway, just my
>two cents worth, or maybe my Dad's two cents.
>
>June

Mrs. Karin M. Beros, MSO                     [log in to unmask]
International and Area Studies               voice:  (510) 642-8542
Office of the Dean, 260 Stephens Hall        fax:    (510) 642-9466
Mail Code 2300