> In several letters to the list lately I've seen reference to a
> gastronomy, or feeding tube.  Could anyone tell me what is involved with
> using one?  How is it put in?  Is it permanent, or inserted at each
> meal?  How much expertise is needed to feed a patient using one?  Can the
> patient eat in any other way once a tube is used?  My mother does more
> choking than swallowing, and is losing weight.  It takes her so long to
> even eat a little, that she is quickly too tired to finish taking in the
> amount she needs.  She tries to eat often,  but we should know about what
> may be yet to come.  Thanks.

Dear Carl,

        The question of whether or not to insert a feeding tube directly
into the stomach is a difficult one.  The procedure itself is simple, and
adequate nutrition can easily be provided with a minimum of instruction
to the care giver.  One must examine whether quality of life is at all
improved, however.

        The individual who has difficulty swallowing to the point that a
PEG tube must be inserted will probably not be able to take oral
nourishment to any degree.  That means that all nutrition will be
provided through the tube.  Aspiration pneumonia (which happens when one
can no longer swallow) continue to occur to some extent because the
person still must swallow saliva.

        My question would be, does your mother want this procedure to be done?
------
Mary Ann Ryan RN