Months ago I wrote to Sen. Santorum and just today received his response.
See what you think, comments, etc. welcomed.  . .

Dear Ms. Carper:
   Thank you for  contacting me regarding the Morris K. Udall Research,
Assistance, and Education Act of 1995. I appreciate hearing from you and
having the benefit of your views.
   On April 6, Senator Mark Hatfield introduced the Morris K. Udall Act
(S.684) which was subsequently referred to the Senate Labor and Human
Resources Committee for hearings. This legislation would expand and
coordinate research concerning Parkinson's disease, and improve care and
assistance for afflicted individuals and their family caregivers. The bill
would increase federal funding for Parkinson's research from $26 million to
$100 million annually. In addition, this legislation would establish an
Interagency Council composed of representatives from the relevant agencies
and the National Institutes of Health that would develop a strategic plan
for Parkinson's research.
   In the past, I have been a strong supporter of federal funding of basic
and clinical research within the National Institutes of Health. Because
research for serious diseases such as Parkinson's is important, I supported
the Hatfield amendment to the Senate Budget Resoltion to restore $7 billion
in spending and avert a drastic reduction in medical research. This
amendment was supported by offsetting custs in discretionary spending accounts.
   When S.684 is considered by the full Senate for a vote, I will be certain
to keep in mind your strong support. If I can assist you further, in the
meantime, please do not hesitate to call on me again.
Sincerely,
Rick Santorum

Santorum is on the Committee on Aging as well as having his sights set
(IMHO) on the presidency in a few years. Ideas?
Thanks,
Lisa Carper