I didn't get much feedback to my 7/14 Note/questions regarding startup of
Sinemet medication with my 85 year old mother, so I thought I would try one
more time with my basic concerns.

When she tried Sinemet 2 years ago, she had nausea problems and gave up
trying to use it. To start her on Sinemet again, she has been prescribed to
take 1/2 of a CR 25/100....two times each day along with a 25 mg Lodosyn
(carbidopa) tablet, if necessary to eliminate nausea. Other than
discontinuing amantadine, she is supposed to continue the other PD
medications (10 mg of Parlodel and 10 mg of eldepril)

We started her as prescribed this past week...but didn't notice much
difference...other than the Lodosyn seemed to keep the nausea problem under
control.

I would appreciate any advice on getting her properly started on Sinemet and
have the following questions:

  - Is a total of one CR 25/100 tablet a day enough ? It doesn't seem so,
based on my reading....or is this a good starting
point ?

  - When is the best time to take the medicine and how long between doses ? I
started her with half a tablet early in the AM and the other half around
noon. Is this good ? What is the
useful time range for half a 25/100 for a smaller women.?

  - Is Nausea really a problem if the sinemet is taken well before a meal ?
Can the lodosyn be reduced after the startup period ?....(relying on the
cardopa in the CR 25/100 combination pill to hold down nausea ?)

  - What's the real issue with milk and dairy products ?
I have read that Loma Linda recommends against it...yet others
seem to say "no problem". Do milk or dairy products have this wide a range of
effect on different individuals. ?

   - What makes a good breakfast ? If a muffin is made using milk, is it off
limits ? What kinds of cereal ? Is toast or bread with jam a problem ?
   - What makes a good lunch ?
   - My mother likes sweat foods...cookies, cakes, pies, etc.
      (I know too much is not good...but its tough to change at
       85...Does sugar aid or hinder the levadopa ?) I understand
       she must get normal protein levels to maintain weight
       and body strength...but how restrictive does one have to
       be, if the medicines are to be useful ?

   - It seems that all vegetables and fruits are good. What about salad oils
? butter ? (I assume cottage cheeses, mayonnaise, etc may be out due to milk
base ?)

   - What foods are considered high protein...and are these off limit ...or
when is the best time to sneak some in ?
(ie...Is it best to eat higher protein foods at night...say have the
medication at 5:00 and eat at 6:00 ?.....or eat earlier and have some final
medication before sleep ?

    - What side effects does Sinemt have ? It seems I've read that it causes
sleep problems ??

Thank you all for your continued help and advice.

Best Regards,  Mike Salter ([log in to unmask])