>        Could somebody help me out by telling me what the Botanical name
>
>of this much-talked about Fava bean is?.  My mother has been trying to find it
>
>and apparently it is not called the fava bean, where she lives.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Sathya

Like you Sathya, I had trouble with that name.  My Italian Chemist told me
the Australian/English name is BROAD BEANS.
As they are out of season here, I had a fair bit of trouble finding them.
Not available frozen, but I was able to get a 375g packet of dried Beans.

Here is my simple recipe:

FAVA FAVOURITE

Prepare the dried beans by bringing them to the boil for 3 minutes then let
them soak in the hot water for an hour or so.

Drain, and freeze half of them for later.

In a PRESSURE COOKER

throw in a rasher or two of chopped  BACON
an ONION roughly chopped
some fresh HERBS (I used oregano, thyme, parsley) if available
plenty of PEPPER
SALT
a jar (about 500g) of TOMATO PASTA SAUCE

Pressure cook for approx half an hour

Good served with sausages.

My husband with PD and I have been eating the beans for the last few days
and I must say, he has been a lot better.  He has PD pretty badly and
usually spends his days nodding off in his chair or in bed. His speech
mostly unintelligible.
Today I could understand everything he said,  he seemed so much better
being more alert, and was able to enjoy  with me in watching a movie on
Television until 10.30 p.m.
Knowing the capricious nature of PD, it may have been a rare good day and
tomorrow, back to the old. (I hope not)
There is an anti-social side effect associated with bean eating!!! ;-)

Cheers from Greta